Missing links and Access Denied in Central Administration

SP2013


Hello everyone,

Today I’ll talk about an “Access denied” issue. This problem was given to me by a colleague whom could not access all the content of the central administration (while using the Farm Admin account), on his SharePoint development environment

After looking at the logs in all directions, nothing helped us to solve the problem!

With a little research, I came across this article: http://blogs.msdn.com/b/jorman/archive/2010/07/10/missing-links-or-access-denied-in-central-admin-sharepoint-2010.aspx  which gives the answer. (Thanks Jerry!)

Apparently the security on the server, including Windows UAC, requires the use of Internet Explorer as an administrator to run correctly.

Hope this helps

 Christopher

Advertisements

OOB Approval Workflow error

SP2013


Hello everyone,

Today I’ll talk about a strange moment in the life of SharePoint Consultant. One of those moments where the reaction can only be « WHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAT??? ».

 

That moment came when I found myself in front of an error. This error has occurred on a OOB workflow « Approval 2010 ».

This workflow worked properly for weeks when all of a sudden he started not wanting to go on documents submission.

The error message displayed in the « workflow status » was: « The workflow operation failed because the workflow lookup found no matching item ».

With a little searching, I found this msdn link explaining the frequent errors of workflow development: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/office/dn449112(v=office.15).aspx#bkmk_error09

I admit I laughed a little reading the passage dealing with the error:

“The workflow operation failed because the workflow lookup found no matching item

This indicates there is an error in the workflow logic. Check to ensure that you are selecting the correct list and field in your lookup.”

(Recall that the workflow is a OOB, so developed by the MS team :p).

 

It’s funny but it does not help me. By analyzing the logs, I found the following error « WinWF Internal Error, terminating workflow Id# »

My research led me to this msdn topic: http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/f582ad6b-f3f8-4451-85c1-95d88e953481/ootb-workflow-error explaining that the error appears when you tick the option « Enable Content Approval : Update the approval status after the workflow is completed (use this to control content approval) »

..

“WHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAT ??”

Indeed, by unchecking this option, the approval workflow creates tasks correctly, but does not validate the document. So I ended up using an event « onworkflowcompleted » to validate my document after my approval workflow is finished.

I have now 2 questions:

« Why was it working at first? » and « Why is it not working anymore? »

 

If anyone knows the answer, I’m interested.

Christopher

Filter Provider Webpart not applying

SP2013

Hello everyone,

Today I’ll talk about a problem that may occur when you want to filter the contents of a webpart via the connection with another webpart.

It may happen that the filter does not apply correctly on the “consumer” webpart .You see the symbol of filtered column but all the content is displayed.

Some webpart uses a rendering effect on “client side” (including standard webpart displaying “task” list).

To have your filter working, you can specify at the “consumer” webpart to use a server side rendering.

To do this, edit the properties of the “consumer” webpart. In the “Miscellaneous” section, you should see “Server Render” property unchecked. Check this property and your filter should applied.

Side effect: The initial report of the “consumer” webpart may be altered by this change, this is the case for the sample I used (task list) : Activating the “Server Render ” will remove the checkbox on tasks (the one that allow you to completed a task quickly).

Hope this helps.

Christopher