Today I will talk about a problem regarding anonymous access to SharePoint 2013. In fact I recently faced a false “view items”!
The configuration of my site was done correctly to give full access to anonymous (Web Application configured and anonymous access given to the entire site for anonymous)
However when I tried to access an element of a list without being logged in, I was prompt for my credentials!
The reason is simple, it is actually a feature that was already present before and is now enabled by default: « Limited-access user permission lockdown mode »
I need to give credit where credit is due; I found this info on the blog Steven Van de Craen (thanks to him!): http://www.sharepointblogs.be/blogs/vandest/archive/2013/01/26/sharepoint-2013-and-anonymous-users-accessing-lists-and-libraries.aspx
One small addition to his post over is the fact that I had to redefine security anonymous on the site (just going to click again on “OK” in anonymous access definition after disabling the feature at the site collection level) to ensure that it works.
Hope this helps!