Today I will talk about a problem concerning “managed metadata.”
I had deployed a solution on a test environment configured with the English version of SharePoint Server and the French language pack.
On the test environment, no worries when a user changes the language, for elements whose field was filled, it was well displayed in the listview in English and French. But on production, the switch in French did not display the data.
On my development environment, I took the code and installed the language pack and actually I have reproduced the problem.
After some research I found the “TaxonomyHiddenList” at the following URL: /Lists/TaxonomyHiddenList/AllItems.aspx
In this list are the language links to the metadata.
We can see the presence of two groups of two metadata “TERM-PATH” followed by the decimal LCID of the language.
Actually on my development environment, the fields were empty for the 1036 group. Once completed, the data are displayed correctly, the addition of new entry was doing the link automatically.
On the production of my client, the problem was a little different, because there was the group of fields for 1033 and not those for the 1036 !
Problem solved by manually creating the two fields in string format with the missing names “Term1036” and “Path1036”
Once the fields present, new entries were added correctly.
I’m not 100% sure of the reason but in two cases the language pack was added after the insertion of data.
Moral: After adding a language pack, check that the data of our managed metadata are well filled!
Hope this help !